Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The 24/7 Job

Well friends as much as I (we) wanted to make this blog mainly fun and pretty, there is an important event coming up (tomorrow, actually) that I wanted to discuss: OSU's Communications Networking Expo.
I attended this expo last year and really enjoyed it. My thoughts about it can be read on my old blog here: Time to Network.
At the time I was looking for a summer internship and being able to meet the representatives (for where I wanted to go) was a huge benefit.
This year I'm hoping to meet potential employers for a full-time position but the networking doesn't begin and end at the event tomorrow. Networking is a 24/7 necessity when looking for a job or internship. In a way, I think it's true what they say-"It's not what you know but who you know"- but once that connection gets you in the door, it's going to be what you know that keeps you there.
I feel that OSU prepared me well for whatever opportunities lie ahead. I've had amazing professors at the journalism school as well as in the foreign languages department. I'll never forget the impact they made on me and how willing each of them was to help me continue to learn and grow as a student and an individual.
A part of me is almost excited to be thrown out in the real world- yes, it'll be scary and suck a lot and I'll be poor- but honestly I'll be proud to say I'm an OSU alum and show why that makes me an asset to whoever I may work with.
So back to the point- come to the Communications Expo tomorrow in the Student Union Ballroom. It's from 1:30- 3:30 p.m. Dress nice and bring your résumé!
To see who will be there go to its Web site, here, for a full list of the Expo Participants.


No comments:

Post a Comment